2017-18 saw us set up and run 15 different businesses:
- Simply Snacks (Adam Douangprachanh) – frosted cookies
- Werewolf (Aliyah-Lise Kamuragiye) – a card game
- Liquid Gold (August Kuhn)- a caramel sauce
- Spectrum (Ava Goldstein) – an organic facial product range
- Oshun Spice (Brian Muhoza) – a food spice & marinade
- Stresstermination (Christian Simpson) – a stress reliever toy
- Ring Comics (Christopher Simpson) – comics
- Clean Face (Darric Taylor) – a facial scrub for teenagers
- Drifts (Harry Mumby) – candle holders made from driftwood recycled from local beaches
- Black Out (Laurenne Mottley) – a charcoal-based facial product
- Mind-Reset (Marika Kovasics) – a stress reliever toy
- Grub Rub (Mario Rodridguez-Acguirre & Max Rivest) – a food spice & rub
- Aroma Fragrance Nagisa Inamasu) – aromatic candles
- ENZY (Zed Layson & Nick Lemieux) – an organic cologne range
- Holiday Cards (Zoe Booker) – hand-painted greeting cards.
In total, these 15 businesses donated $5000 to the following charities: The Ark (dedicated to animal rights) here on the island, The Barbados Vagrants & Homeless Society, The Barbados Cancer Society, Variety – The Children’s Charity, The Bethlehem Movarian Church, Hope for Children, UNICEF, Codrington’s very own Interact Club and The Marie Curie Society (in the UK).
Two businesses made the finals: Laurenne’s Black Out and Nicolas’ and Zed’s ENZY. One February Saturday morning saw our very own Laurenne, Nicolas and Zed attend the Small Business Development Centre in town presenting their businesses to a judging panel of eight! Then in March 2018 we attended the prestigious awards dinner at The Concorde Experience where we won two categories. Nicolas and Zed won first place in the Sky Mall Marketplace awards with Laurenne winning the Excellence in Marketing prize. This year saw a 100% increase in entrants from across Barbados and much older students taking part too, so we are very pleased with our achievements. Codrington was also awarded a very special partnership award to acknowledge our continued participation in and our level of continued success in this extremely rewarding competition.